For half a century epoxy formulations were an important part of the building industry. In particular, epoxy floor coverings are commonly used in floor applications. Checkout Epoxy Floor for more info. Below are some things you may or may not yet know about one of the most important current coating materials:
- High performance epoxy coatings are the key behind epoxy resins.
Epoxy resins are the main materials of quality formulations such as primers, top-coats, and sealants based on epoxy. Such resins allow well performing floor finishes, protective coats, fire retardants, waterproofing and damage-resistance paints for epoxy floor coverings.
- Epoxy coatings are available in many different types of surfaces.
Different flooring applications require different coating systems which are determined primarily by the type of material used for the substrate.
- Molecules of epoxy resin are cross-linked, making them almost impermeable.
The unusual chemistry between organochlorine / epoxide compounds of bisphenol A and epichlorohydrine produces a reaction that induces cross-linked epoxies when exposed to amines.
- For improved efficiency, epoxies may be mixed with other materials.
Some of the popular coating systems produced in conjunction with epoxy are epoxy-amine systems, epoxy-sulfide systems, aliphatic epoxy systems, and hybrid epoxy systems. A better adhesion and fast curing times are achieved with amine, glossy surface appearance.
- Epoxy-coatings are immune to many harm forms. No wonder they are also used in environments that are continuously exposed to toxic agents such as production plants, factory floors, heavy machinery garages and hangars for aircraft.
- Epoxy coatings have amazing adhesive properties.
Epoxy-based coatings have strong adhesive properties— 1.5 thousand pounds per inch square of flooring. This translates into floors that for longer periods of time and even under extreme physical loads can remain intact and in good condition 7. Epoxy coatings are strong resistance to flames.
7.Some epoxy floor coatings contain pigments which expand rapidly when exposed to high heat. This expansion creates a thick barrier defense that lasts long enough for natural or responding fire-fighting team to put out the fire.
- Coatings of the epoxy floor are either water-borne, high-solid or solvent-borne.
Waterborne epoxies are effective in many materials, whereas high-solid formulations cover a broader area of application and have lower concentrations of VOCs. Solvent-borne epoxies are an newer technique that are heavy in VOCs, releasing a poisonous odour.
- The bisphenol
A compound in epoxy resins is currently under investigation as a possible health threat, and coats based on solvents contain high levels of VOCs that are hazardous to the environment and to employees.
- Epoxy coatings have a share of their vulnerabilities.
Coatings of the epoxy floor are very reliant on a good mix ratio to prevent problems during healing time. Applicants will meet the manufacturer’s instructions to keep texture and viscosity consistent.